National Integrated Research Program on Medicinal Plants
Institute of Herbal Medicine
University of the Philippines Manila
Peperomia pellucida is also commonly known as Ulasimang bato or pansit-pansitan. Folklorically, the leaves have been used as a decoction to treat gout, arthritis and urinary tract infections.
- Completed Clinical Trials Phase 1-3
- Decreases the serum uric acid levels within 2 weeks of oral intake
- Average drop in uric acid levels reached 78% by 7 weeks of continuous intake, which was similar to the percentage drop in levels after oral intake of allopurinol for the same duration
- 85% satisfactory pain relief from joint pains after 2 weeks
- No “rebound” hyperuricemia, often seen in patients treated with Allopurinol
MARKET APPLICATION AND COMMERCIAL OPPORTUNITIES
Around 1.6 million Filipinos suﬀer from gout, which makes it the most common inﬂammatory type of arthritis in the country. Having hyperuricemia or a high serum uric acid level is directly correlated with the development of gout, renal stones and skin tophi. Approximately 28% of all Filipinos have hyperuricemia. This may be due to a decrease in uric acid excretion because the kidneys are not able to compensate for the high purine load.
Gout and hyperuricemia is a very common condition in Filipinos. Allopurinol, which is the standard of care in the treatment of hyperuricemia, has several side eﬀects such as Stevens-Johnson syndrome, dizziness and other hypersensitivity reactions. These have not been observed in patients using Ulasimang bato. Ulasimang bato is well known folklorically for the treatment of gout and arthritis and would readily be accepted by Filipino patients.
The technology completed clinical trials phases 1-3 and has shown promising results. It is now available for mass production and is ready for the consumption of the public as medicine.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY STATUS
Philippine Patent has been granted and maintained
Strong Know-How protected as a trade secret
TYPE OF COOPERATION
LICENSING with local medicine manufacturers for the mass production and marketing of the final product.